The Guessing Game


After signing our contract last weekend and in anticipation of our new home, Darryl and  I eagerly sat down with our floor plan to lay out our future house. As we started discussion of the placement of our seven TVs (Yes, seven! I don't have any explanation for this...) and our small appliances we realized we have no idea how many electrical outlets, cables, lights etc are included in our floor plan. I checked the contract and guess what? It's not listed in there. How convenient! 

We contacted our SR via email to ask her for a list of what is included and this was her response: 

"Unfortunately, I don’t have updated electric prints.  They don’t provide the Sales team those revised prints because that is something that the electrician will review during your meeting.  It really is a very detailed appointment, and I’m sure you will get a lot from it.  I’m sure that Sandra will be in touch early next week to set that up for you."


Ummmm, What?!  They don't provide the Sales Reps with what comes standard in each home?!?! I'm just going to take a wild guess here, but I'm pretty confident that most buyers would like to know what is included in the price of their home? 

I'm baffled! They seriously expect us to layout our 4000 sq ft home in one 3 hour meeting with an electrician? That's absurd!  

Here is my response to the SR and I will keep you posted on her response: 


"We understand you may not have the blueprints and details of lights and electrical outlets that are included standard with the house, but the electrician, corporate or Sandra must have the information, correct? I imagine at times some people build from out of state and can't make the electrical and design meetings, so there must be some sort of files for such cases. 

Can you please request they send it it us? 

We just don't feel comfortable making all of those design decisions in a meeting or two. I know we took a look around the design basement and took a few photos, but even then there was a lot to take in. I can't imagine if I had to make my choices all in a few hours." 

My Opinion: They rush you through the contract process so you don't have time to think through each and every detail such as electrical outlets and they don't voluntarily offer information. 

Lesson: Make sure you know before you sign exactly what you are getting standard with your home. Ask specific questions about every little thing! After you sign the answers won't come easy! Also, get it in writing! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Way Too Involved Husband

The Contract

Stalking the Avalons & Photos!